Sunday, April 28, 2013

Census Sunday – Dillon in MS


Richard Dillon [b 1745 VA – d 1833 MS]; married Anne Lawrence [bc 1762 NC – d c 1839 MS]. He served in the American Revolution. Richard "saw service as an enlistee on the vessel 'Greyhound,' a privateersman commanded by Samuel Butler.  With the capture of that vessel, he was made a prisoner on the English frigate 'Baloosa' which carried 36 guns and was commanded by a Captain Kennedy, a Scotsman. After a nine-month imprisonment, he again returned to Bertie County." About 1810 he moved to Pike County, MS.[1], [2], [3]

I found Richard in the federal census at Ancestry.com. The 1820 US Census shows Richard Dillon in Pike Co., MS.
Free white males: 1 45+ over
Free white females: 1 45+ over; 1 26 – 44; 1 under 10 years old.
Slaves: 13. Total: 17 people
I’m confident that this is my ancestor because on the same page were Laurence, Clarkson & Willis Dillon. Those were the names of three of the sons of Richard & Anne.

I was unsuccessful at finding Richard Dillon in the 1830 US Census but when I searched further I found Dillons in the Mississippi state census reports for 1841 & 1845. I found all four sons of Richard & Anne Dillon: Lawrence, Clarkston, Theophilus & Willis, in both years.





[1] Conerly, Luke Ward, Source Records from Pike County, Mississippi; 1798-1910; 1798-1910; South Carolina, Southern Historical Press, 1989.
[2] Pension Application for Richard Dillon, #2959; State of Mississippi, Pike County; Copy from National Archives Record Group #15A, R. 2959.
[3] Creel, Bevin J. A Patriot's Legacy: The Family of Richard Dillon and Ann Lawrence From Bertie County, North Carolina To Southern Mississippi and Louisiana. Franklinton, Louisiana: Privately Printed, 2002.

2 comments:

  1. See
    http://revwarapps.org/r2959.pdf

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlie. I have that information already but I appreciate you sending the link. You are always ready to help!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.