Sunday, June 24, 2012

Census Sunday - The Gardners in the 1940 US Census


State & National Census Reports are filled with information for genealogists. Both the population & nonpopulation schedules give us insights into the lives of our ancestors. What have you found that is Surprising? Reassuring? Bewildering?

Good friends: Jimmy Ryan & Joy Gardner in the Bronx


Many of us are stepping into the 1940’s by way of the US Census. Our family has been busy with weddings this spring; our son’s and our nephew’s. Now that they are behind us and those young men have happily begun married life I have had an opportunity to begin my search.

I was happy to discover that New York State has been indexed. The first people I wanted to find were my mother and her parents, the Nathaniel Gardner family in New York City. Thanks to ancestry.com I found them quickly.

The Gardners were living at 2856 East 197th Street in the Bronx. I had this address from letters and other family documents. They rented their apartment for $37.00 a month. Nathan was 57 and a telegrapher for the Western Union Telegraph Company. [He had worked for them since he was a young boy delivering telegrams on his bicycle.] He worked 46 hours a week. [He had asthma and his doctor wanted him to work less hours. He finally decided to retire when WWII began and he was needed to work even more hours.] His income was $1,200.

His wife, Helen (Coyle) Gardner, was 42. Their daughter, Joy [indexed as Jay], was 11 years old. All of them were born in New York City.

I even found my mother’s good friend, Jimmy Ryan, who lived next door. His father, Michael, was a subway motorman.

There were no big surprises in the report. Instead it is reassuring to see what I expected to find. My mother and her parents were in their apartment in New York City where they would live for a few more months. In November they would move to a little country house in Columbia County.

When I see the 1950 Census I will see that Helen is a widow, still living in the small house in the country. Her only child, my mother, will be a young married woman. To see our family stories verified is comforting. 

1 comment:

  1. I am loving the 1940 census. I enjoyed reading your summary and your thoughts about what you found. It's especially interesting projecting ahead to 1950 making us aware how quickly life changes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.