Sunday, May 27, 2012

New Discoveries about Daniel Mullane


Every discovery hinges on the one before and several things came together recently to help me to learn more about Daniel Mullane, my great great grandfather.




This is what I knew about Daniel Mulane before my recent additions:
1.    Daniel Mullane married Brigid English. They had several children and lived in Clonmel, Co Tipperary, Ireland. I knew this from family stories, letters, photographs and the 1901 & 1911 Irish Census Records.
2.    Daniel’s father was Thomas Mullane, carpenter. This information came from his 1866 marriage record.
3.    Daniel Mullane was born in County Cork, c, 1838. This came from the 1901 & 1911 Census information.
4.    Daniel was Roman Catholic. Sources for this include family stories and the 1911 Census.

Recently I contacted the Archivist at the South Tipperary County Archives. She kindly found and sent to me the obituary for Daniel. (See May 20 post with details). This obituary gave his birth as Kanturk, Co Cork. That was one more detail I needed.

I went to www.rootsireland.ie and put in the information I knew: Daniel Mullane bc 1838 in Kanturk, Cork, son of Thomas Mullane. Very quickly, I had a match for his Baptism!

Church Baptism Record for Daniel Mullane, 25 January 1838, Kanturk, County Cork, Ireland; Mallow Heritage Centre; www.rootsireland.ie. Denomination: Roman Catholic. Parents: Thomas Mullane & Julia Sullivan. Sponsors: James Mullane & Bridget Sullivan.

I had verified his birth year and learned his mother’s name!

I wanted to see what else I could find out on the same website. I put in the Baptism form with no first name and searched the years before & after Daniel’s birth for children with the same parents. I found two sisters for Daniel.

Church Baptism Record for Ellen Mullane, 12 June 1836, Kanturk, County Cork, Ireland; Mallow Heritage Centre; www.rootsireland.ie. Parents: Thomas Mullane & Julia Sullivan. Sponsors: Denis Leary & Mary Sean.

Church Baptism Record for Margaret Mullane, 2 January 1840, Kanturk, County Cork, Ireland; Mallow Heritage Centre; www.rootsireland.ie. Parents: Thomas Mullane & Julia Sullivan. Sponsors: Cornelius O Leary & Mary Sullivan.

Daniel & Brigid had daughters named after these women. So much just fit together, like putting in that puzzle piece that just slips in the picture.




2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from visitors, cousins & fellow bloggers. Note that I do not publish anonymous comments.